Connecting Opportunities works with new migrants to develop their skills and opportunities to find work and be part of the local community.
Horton Housing is one of ten organisations that specialise in working with migrants that are offering tailored support, cultural orientation, English language classes and other training across West Yorkshire and part of North Yorkshire (Craven, Harrogate, Selby and York).
The project will also create new local connections, with opportunities for local people to be volunteer mentors and befrienders, and for employers to provide work placements to help people get a foothold in the job market.
Connecting Opportunities is funded by the European Social Fund and the National Lottery, through the Big Lottery Fund.
Connecting Opportunities aims and objectives
Connecting Opportunities aims to support the most vulnerable and marginalised new migrants to integrate and to increase their employability and become economically active members of the wider community. We recognise that some of the skills, strengths and potential of new migrants could remain untapped if we do not take action to address some of the many barriers they can face.
Some key features of the service
- Tailored to each individual.
- English language classes for up to 12 months if required.
- Specialist mental health and wellbeing support.
- Inclusive of the perspectives and contributions of women.
- Participants help to influence the project.
What the service is aiming to achieve
- Participants will feel more confident, speak better English and have a greater understanding of the British workplace.
- Through employing new migrants and offering placement opportunities, local employers will know more about the communities living locally, will feel supported to connect with new potential employees and will promote economic well-being in some of the most economically-deprived areas of the region.
- There will be increased integration and understanding between local communities and new migrants.
For more information, visit Connecting Opportunities website
To contact Connecting Opportunities, phone 0113 378 8700. An interpreter can be booked if needed.
To refer yourself or someone else, visit: www.migrationyorkshire.org.uk/referral